(Updated April 22, 2020) As a follow up to our information from March 6th and as the coronavirus spreads further in the US, we have initiated additional measures and updated our action plan for volunteers. Our primary goal is to keep our dedicated volunteers and their families safe and healthy. The coronavirus has now been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization so we want to remind you of our current policy which also includes updated measures. Please read this document in its entirety. You are expected to comply with all policies contained within.
In addition, while we appreciate the outpouring of advice and suggestions sent to our office, please be assured that we are and have been in constant communication with state and local health officials as to the best course of action during this pandemic. All decisions on policy will continue to be guided by those discussions and recommendations.
Avoiding the Spread
Any volunteer who is experiencing flu or coronavirus symptoms is required to refrain from making deliveries until all symptoms have subsided. We ask that you use both your best judgement and common sense to determine if you should stay home. Information about the virus is continually developing so we encourage you to use only reliable sources in determining the best course of action for your personal health and safety. Click HERE for the most recent information on community spreading from the CDC.
Symptoms Can Include:
- Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
*It’s important to note that not everyone with the flu will have a fever.
What to Do If Experiencing Symptoms:
- DO NOT DELIVER TO OUR CLIENTS. PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE IMMEDIATELY AT 317-252-5558 OR VOLUNTEER@MEALSONWHEELSINDY.ORG to let us know that you are unable to deliver.
- Consult your healthcare provider for next steps or treatment options.
- Notify the volunteer team at VOLUNTEER@MEALSONWHEELSINDY.ORG or via phone at 317-252-5558 when you are able to return to your delivery route. You should only return to volunteering after NO SYMPTOMS are present for 4-5 days.
When Delivering to Our Clients:
- Wear masks and plastic or latex gloves at all times when making deliveries. If you need gloves for your deliveries, MOW has a supply at on hand for your use. Please contact our office to make arrangements at (317) 252-5558.
- Change your gloves in between each stop if you have person-to-person contact during your delivery.
- Use hand sanitizer often and in between stops on your route.
- Limit your time at the home and if possible, do not enter the home. The population we serve is at greatest risk for transmission and we want to limit their exposure to outside influences.
- If you see a client exhibiting coronavirus or flu-like symptoms which are outside of their normal physical state, please notify the MOW office immediately at (317) 252-5558 so that we may notify the emergency contact on file.
How to Prevent Transmission If You Are Healthy:
- Get the flu vaccine annually. The CDC recommends everyone 6 months and older get an annual flu vaccine. People over the age of 65 should also consider getting a pneumonia vaccine.
- Wash your hands often and thoroughly.
- Avoid touching your nose, eyes and mouth when possible.
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces with antibacterial wipes or disinfectant spray.